2004 Jul 21 15:24

Re: [vox-tech] Knoppix as Debian Installer (was PPP problems;need help over phone or housecall (Sacramento))

Re: [vox-tech] Knoppix as Debian Installer (was PPP problems;need help over phone or housecall (Sacramento))

Quoting myself:

> I don't have the stock Knoppix sources.list in front of me, but
> vaguely recall that it references the standard official-Debian mirror
> site for the unstable branch....

Er, standard if you happen to live in Germany.  (That's one reason you'd
want to clean up the file.)

I should have added:  If you converge to the testing branch, beware of
the hole in _automated_ security-fix coverage:  1.  You don't necessarily
receive the Debian Security Team's security-fix packages (because your
installed package version numbers might be later than the ones they
release), and therefore don't have the "stable" branch's Security Team
coverage.  2.  Because of the automated quarantining scripts, you won't
necessarily _immediately_ automatically receive security-fix releases
from the package maintainer, either.  (You would after quarantining,
though.)

Therefore, people on the testing branch should (more than others) stay
subscribed to the Security Team's "debian-security-announce" alert
mailing list, and not just rely on apt-get doing the right thing
automatically.

--
Cheers,        "Linux means never having to delete your love mail."
Rick Moen                                              -- Don Marti