2004 Jul 18 23:12

Re: [vox-tech] dhcp, other

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
Thirdly, now that I have net access, I've been trying to update various
pieces of software. So, I tried to compile GTK 2.4, and it depends on a
library called Pango. The version of Pango that is in the GTK 2.4
directory of the gtk.org ftp site is Pango 1.4 . But when I configure
gtk it says that it requires Pango 1.2 . Specifically, it says:
"configure: error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is required for x11
target" This installation guide webpage also seems only to refer to
Pango 1.2: http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.4/gtk/gtk-building.html
. However, Pango 1.2 is found in the GTK 2.2 directory of the GTK ftp
site. What gives?

It sounds like you are trying to upgrade packages via source code. Aren't you using Debian? Trying to upgrade core packages by source code on a binary based distribution is an unnecessary nightmare. If you want a compile-from-source distribution that really works, look into Gentoo. Otherwise you should really stick to the binary install/uninstall tools supplied by your distribution.

Regards,
Jonathan