January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jul 19 00:20

[vox-tech] Re: Help: My 'e' and 'c' keys no longer work!

On Sun 18 Jul 04, 12:56 AM, René Seindal <rene@seindal.dk> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >Dear all,
> >
> >My "c" and "e" keys stopped working in xterms (rxvt, etc) on X.   They
> >work correctly on the console, so it's not a hw issue.  The only things
> >of note that happened recently are:
>
> Well, you're not alone.  I've had the very same problem, but it went
> away, and I didn't manage to figure out what went wrong.  I experimented
>  with the keyboard layout preferences in gnome, and at some point it
> went away.
>
> You can fix it from an xterm with setxkblayout XX where the x'es should
> be substituted with the layout you want.  In my case it is 'dk'.  Too
> bad there's an 'e' in the command, but do an ls and paste an 'e' :-)
>
> FWIW, it is not just you.

THANK YOU!!!

By the way, I didn't have setxkblayout on my system, but using dpkg -S
to look for commands of similar name, I found setxkbmap.  This fixed my
problem:

   $ setxkbmap us

BTW, I update my machine (Debian/testing) a couple of times a day, so I
can pretty much pinpoint this problem starting this morning.

Can you tell me which branch of Debian you're using and when the problem
started for you?  Looking at my /usr/share/doc directory, it appears
that both xlibs and xbase-clients DID get updated today.  So I'm fairly
sure the problem was the result of some kind of misconfiguration that
was pulled onto the machine via package update.

Again, thank you SO much.  You just took a HUGE load off my mind!

Pete

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.