2004 Jul 14 22:26

[vox-tech] ssh login slow with iptables

I'm setting up my nifty new dedicated web server with a firewall
like this: (I'm on RH9, the rpms look like the latest avail )

iptables -F
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m multiport -p tcp --dport www,ssh,sftp,smtp,10000 \ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -j LOG -m limit
iptables -A INPUT -j REJECT

(an o'reilly setup from the linux security cookbook)

Now, when I log in via SSH or SFTP, there is a 30 second pause while my password authorizes. It used to take a second or two. Flush the rules and the login is up to speed again.

I want to force my clients to use SFTP for all their file transfers but the delay is going to be annoying.

Any suggestions to speed up my logins?

--
Jack LaPlante
jlaplante@pwx.com