2004 Jul 14 09:59

Re: [vox-tech] Procmail to kill "Subject: $77168" spams

On 2004.07.14 08:04, Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 06:48:03PM -0700, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > >
> > > My ISP (Sonic.net) has SpamAssassin, and it works quite well,
> > > but these ones seem to be getting through.  Others (not just SA
> > > users on Sonic) have noticed these ones, in particular, as well,
> > > lately.
> > >
> > > So I guess I should just email Sonic and ask them to filter them
> > > via SA, if possible.
> >
> > Try training Spamassassin's bayenesian filter.
>
> Unfortunately, Sonic users don't have the capability to train
> Spamassassin.  Sonic continues to work on a system that will scale
> to many thousands of users, but in the mean time, they've fallen
> behind in the spam munitions war.  They've wisely decided that a
> shared bayesion database for all users is a bad idea.

That is a good choice, but you ought to do your own spam filtering on
your own computer. If you're writing procmail rules (like Bill is),
you should have the procmail rules run a well-trained spamassassin
yourself.

> I finally got irritated enough to forward my sonic email to a server
> under my control.  I should have done that a long time ago!

My mail setup involves having fetchmail grab my mail from ucdavis.edu
every 5 minutes (by cron), and when it does it strips any spamassassin
report that might already be included in the message, then it filters
off a few email lists that I trust, then it runs the remainder through
SpamAssassin, before continuing to filter.