2004 Jul 11 19:24

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo installation by NFS?

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo installation by NFS?

På söndag, 11 juli 2004, skrev Bruce Wolk:
[...]
> >Generally, the install process goes like this (for stage 3):
> >1) boot to a shell (from cd, floppy, or network?)
> >2) prepare disk partitions (e.g. fdisk); reboot if necessary for
> >partition tables
> >3) mount partitions
> >4) acquire (e.g. download) the appropriate stage 3 root snapshot
> >5) untar the snapshot onto what will be your new root partition
> >6) chroot to your new root partition
> >7) continue installing via gentoo commands and tools (emerge stuff)
[...]
> Jonathan's method will work--I just did essentially the same thing on my
> server, an old 500MHz Pentium III with 128MB.  Apache, mysql, and php
> are just purring along.  Take a look at
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

Thanks, Bruce and Jonathan! I will report how it goes after I finish. I ran
into a new snag: the floppy drive does not work! I think either the drive or
the cable are defective. But fortunately the machine has a working PXE
bootrom that can load Linux via ethernet.

--
Henry House