2004 Jul 09 10:11

Re: [vox-tech] what Windowmaker has that Gnome does not

På fredag, 09 juli 2004, skrev Issac Trotts:
> In Windowmaker, it's possible to define a keyboard shortcut that
> maximizes the current window vertically.  When that key combination is
> pressed a second time, the window is unmaximized.  In Gnome, the second
> time does nothing.  If someone here has an idea about this, I'd like to
> know about it.  Thanks!

Be careful with your terminology! Gnome is a set of session files, desktop
eye candy, libraries, and protocols, not a window manager. The default
window manager used by the Gnome session manager for some years now is
Sawfish. I hadthe same annoyance with Sawfish when I used it, though in my
case I was not using the rest of the Gnome desktop. Ideas:

- Use the Gnome control center to exchange Sawfish for another window
  manager. It must be Gnome-compliant (i.e., it must support the Gnome
  prococols). I believe that WindowMaker is Gnome-compliant. Another choice
  is IceWM, which has the ability to maximize vertically or horizontally
  with a customizable keystroke.

- Write some scheme code to make Sawfish do what you want. Sawfish has an
  embedded scheme interpreter, which can supposedly customize its behavior
  in nearly unlimited ways given suitable code. You might try asking for
  help on a Sawfish mailing list. I have no idea how hard this would be, but
  probably others in the world would thank you for it if you submitted a
  patchfor inclusion in the Sawfish distribution.

--
Henry House