2004 Jun 29 18:24

[vox-tech] Samba - Permissions

Hi,

(briefly)
I want to setup a samba so that each user can write to their own
directory, and write to the other samba user's directory if desired.

I want the files own by the user who wrote them, but anyone in
the group can edit them

(more detail)
I setup a box (debian testing, not that that much matters in this case) to
run Samba upon to serve two windows machines.

I built 2 users (jay, stacy), whose primary group is "staff".

I built 2 directories
/home/ms_homes
    /jay
    /stacy

chown -R jay.staff /home/jay
chown -R stacy.staff /home/stacy

So now if I logon to the linux box as stacy, I can write to jay's directory
and visa versa.

But when I do it from windows via the samba share I get permission denied.
I even set "force group" in my samba.conf (below)

It seems I have things setup the way I'd think it would work, but
(obviously)
its not working the way I wanted.  Anyone see my error?

Thanks
Jay

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.5.103 (192.168.5.103)
# Date: 2004/06/28 20:28:19

# Global parameters
[global]
 server string = %h server (Samba %v)
 obey pam restrictions = Yes
 passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
 passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
 passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
 syslog = 0
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 max log size = 1000