2004 Jun 25 10:46

[vox-tech] perl: function with hash and scalar args

[vox-tech] perl: function with hash and scalar args

i have a function which takes a hash and scalar arg.  how is this done
correctly?  why is $scalar undefined at the print statement in
function()?

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use diagnostics;

sub function(%$)
{
   my (%hash, $scalar) = (shift, shift);

   print "hash: $hash{foo}\n";
   print "scalar: $scalar\n";
}

my (%hash, $scalar);

$hash{foo} = "hello";
$scalar    = "goodbye";

function(%hash, $scalar);

thanks,
pete

--
In theory, theory and practise are the same.  In practise, they aren't.