2004 Jun 25 10:46

Re: [vox-tech] Lazy Mouse

På torsdag, 24 juni 2004, skrev John Wojnaroski:
> Hi,
>
> Running Debian "woody" and Linux-2.4.18 on a P4 with X-11 and a PS2 mouse.
>
> whenever there is heavy disk activity like compiling the mouse tends to hang
> up and work intermittent until all disk activity ceases.
>
> Is it a driver problem, X-11 config issue, linux build issue, or some
> swap/buffer settings? It's like the mouse events are ignored or just queued
> until the disc accesses complete. Other than that the mouse works just fine
> in all the console and xterm windows and games.

Offhabd, it sounds as if DMA (direct memory access) is not happening, so
your kernel is instead using processor-intensive methods of interacting the
the hard drive.

What kind of drive do you have? It is IDE? In that case the output of
/proc/ide/hda/settings will be instructive. Replace "hda" in the filename
with the correct device name if your drive is not /dev/hda.

--
Henry House
Please don't sent me HTML mail! My mail system will reject it.