2004 Jun 21 17:47

Re: [vox-tech] RedHat 9 Updates...

Quoting William Perdue (william@williamperdue.com):

> I've just now finished reinstalling RedHat Linux 9 (after a cracker broke
> into my root directory). I looked for the patches for RedHat. I printed the
> list of security fixes out.120+ !
>
> My Question is, Is there any place where I can download RedHat 9 with all
> or most of the patches already installed?

You really can't.  (To be more precise:  I'd be immensely _surprised_ if
such a thing existed, even though theoretically it could.)  The best you
can do is collect all of the security fixes and put them on a CDR or on
a file server on a security-protected network.  You can then apply the
fixes _before_ exposing the newly built machine to public networks.

My sympathies about your break-in.  Because RH9 is (inevitably) now
rather behind the times, you might want to consider one of its various
successors as a safer, more long-term-feasible starting point.  There is
of course Fedora Core 2, the commercially supported RHEL variants, and
also at least six RHEL-rebuild projects (that I know of).

For the latter, see "RHEL Forks" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/RedHat/ .