2004 Jun 19 12:09

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Linux viruses?

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 03:46:58PM -0700, Ken Bloom wrote:
> Despite all this, the only Macintosh virus I ever saw in the wild was
> MerryXmas, a HyperCard virus which had a completely different attack
> vector. Yes, folks, when the news came out that a Microsoft product was
> the first product that could spread viruses in *documents* rather than
> executables, I already knew that it wasn't unique. HyperCard viruses had
> already been spreading for in HyperCard stacks years.

My favorite (which nearly gave my Gramma a heart attack) was NVIRb (I
seem to remember the name being something like that, but I think the
name was based on the name of the resource type; and that can't be
right, 'coz they're all 4 characters long).

If you had MacinTalk installed, it would randomly say, "Don't Panic"
at application launch. :-)

> Despite all this, the viruses that spread today are *much* less crafty
> than anything you needed to do on the Mac or DOS.

I seem to remember reading the source code to the I Love You virus,
and seeing something like "// I hat school" or "// I hate schol" or
something. (Clearly the author didn't know what he/she was missing out
on...).

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name