2004 Jun 22 12:20

Re: [vox-tech] Anyone running a mail server on a dynamic IP?

Re: [vox-tech] Anyone running a mail server on a dynamic IP?

I run a non-production server from my home DSL that I use as my primary outgoing mail server while at home. Somewhere between five and ten percent of servers reject my mail on the basis of being a dynamic IP address (for example, LUGOD's mailing lists...), so I have to open up a web-based client to use a free mail service, which is a pain in the butt :) And it's not like they advertise it, I don't know until my mail gets bounced back to me, which means that if I need an email somewhere in five minutes I don't know if it's going to get there or not if it's an unknown server. AOL, softhome, almost any governmental agency, to name a few, block my mail. My school used to, but I complained to them and they fixed it. They now use a server-side beyesian-type system for filtering (an ad-hoc perl version of an underpowered bogofilter).
Despite this, I admit that if I myself were not on a dynamic IP, I would block servers that were in an attempt to stop spam. I've set up clients with their web sites on dynamic IPs using services like DynDNS.org's Custom DNS service or easydns.net's similar service. Small businesses with DSL that can't afford or don't want hosting services are usually targets for this. And they have to use a free service such as Y! mail or softhome whenever they get blocked by a mail server. For more political reasons, I think that blocking the "poor" mail servers would be akin to tax breaks for the rich and stealing from the poor. But again; to be honest, I'd do it too.
--

Seems like most of the spam that I (and thus LUGOD) are not
successfully filtering out these days is from dynamic IPs -