2004 Jun 22 00:06

Re: [vox-tech] Anyone running a mail server on a dynamic IP?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:15:18PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:

> Seems like most of the spam that I (and thus LUGOD) are not
> successfully filtering out these days is from dynamic IPs - dialup,
> cable modem, and dynamic DSL.
>
> So I'm wondering if it's reasonable to refuse mail from servers that
> connect directly from a dynamic IP.

If you still receive legitimate mail from such servers, then no.  But I
believe most of the major service providers already started doing this
some time ago at the ISP level, so you wouldn't receive this mail to
begin with.

For consumer-grade DSL/cable services, AFAIK it's next to impossible to
convince them that any legitimate need to allow such mail would outweigh
the potential for spam.

> Is anyone here running such a server?  And if you are, are you finding
> that many sites are refusing your mail?

Lots of sites will.  People running mail servers from dynamic IPs will
have better luck configuring their MTAs to use their ISP's SMTP server
as a smart host for outgoing mail.

-David