2004 Jun 14 15:52

[vox-tech] Help please with alsa sound

At 07:47 AM 6/13/2004, you wrote:
Some random suggestions:

* Try turning off "Load volumes on login" in KDE's Control
  Center mixer settings, and using alsamixer only.  KDE's
  mixer does not always understand what to do.
Thanks Rob:

Any idea what "Load volumes on login" does? - OR is supposed to do?

I have been hammering on this all nite. Sound is still unstable, but less so. I can get Realplayer to work by booting it with "artsdsp realplay" first and having it open. Other clues seem to be:
Must use PCM, must not use IEC958 Capture Monitor, no other setting on KMIX or Alsa Mixer matter. Nothing controls volume, and you had better be root. No luck as a user. The open sound Alsa driver seems to work.

However, the general environment KDE sounds seem to come and go of some unknown setting, the bell works sometimes. Sound seems to be a mystery.

Does anyone have any other clues. I am running Jonathan's latest Gentoo on a new fast p4,256M white box.

Thanks, Dick