2004 Jun 12 15:15

[vox-tech] help! wdm and xdm fail to authenticate

[vox-tech] help! wdm and xdm fail to authenticate

Help! The display manager running on my thin client server (wdm) no longer
is able to authenticate logins. Symptoms: when I enter the correct username
and password into the login dialog displayed on a managaged x terminal, the
display manager behaves as if an invalid password had been entered, and
/var/log/auth.log logs messages like this:

Jun 10 19:54:56 wotan wdm(pam_unix)[6444]: authentication failure; logname=
uid=0 euid=0            tty=camilla:0 ruser= rhost=  user=hajhouse
Jun 10 19:55:01 wotan cron(pam_unix)[6451]: session opened for user root by
(uid=0)
Jun 10 19:55:01 wotan cron(pam_unix)[6451]: session closed for user root
Jun 10 19:55:09 wotan wdm(pam_unix)[6444]: authentication failure; logname=
uid=0 euid=0            tty=camilla:0 ruser= rhost=  user=hajhouse
Jun 10 19:55:55 wotan last message repeated 3 times
Jun 10 19:56:56 wotan wdm(pam_unix)[6444]: authentication failure; logname=
uid=0 euid=0            tty=camilla:0 ruser= rhost=  user=gahouse
Jun 10 19:57:10 wotan wdm(pam_unix)[6444]: authentication failure; logname=
uid=0 euid=0            tty=camilla:0 ruser= rhost=  user=hajhouse
[...]

(The machines wotan and camilla above are the server and the x terminal,
respectively. The sessions for root above were console logins, which are
working correctly for all users. Wotan does not run its own X server.)

I double-checked that /etc/X11/wdm/Xaccess is configured to allow remote x
servers to request a display manager.  I have not upgraded PAM or WDM lately
so I am at a complete loss. Can anyone help?

--
Henry House
Please don't sent me HTML mail! My mail system will reject it.