2004 Jun 08 00:50

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox-announce] LUGOD.org server switchover

On Monday 07 June 2004 03:49 pm, Ted Deppner wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:50:49AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > Rod Roark is switching his server's distribution, and just send this note:
>
> Cool.  From which to which?  Interesting reasons for the switch?

From Red Hat 8.0 to current Gentoo.

Dumping RH8 is obvious, as it's no longer supported.  Other
RH offerings do not appeal to me any more at all.

More generally, "normal" distributions (SuSE, Mandrake, etc.)
suffer from the common affliction of commercial software:
it's designed for obsolescence - they want to sell you
upgrades.  That's not all bad, but it's just not an upheaval
that I want to endure a couple of times per year.  Slackware
is least evil in this regard, and one I might have easily
chosen.

That leaves the user-supported distributions - Debian and
Gentoo.  I chose Gentoo because I know it better, and because
it seems more interested in keeping its "production" packages
up-to-date.

Gentoo is primarily a "build from source" distribution, which
cam make for some time-consuming upgrades.  However for a
server this problem is minimized by leaving X (and hence KDE,
OpenOffice, Mozilla, etc.) out of the picture.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;-)

-- Rod