2004 Jun 03 22:10

Re: [vox-tech] Printing under KDE

Make sure cupsd is running (in KDE, you can run ksysguard to see a list of running processes). Then try using the html cups interface; in the location bar of a browser enter: localhost:631. Add and configure printers from there. I don't fully trust other printer setup utilities yet.

BTW: running a knoppix installation on the harddrive is unconventional. It is great way to experience much of Linux without too much initial effort. However, you may find it quite difficult to change the default configuration and to fix problems that do occur.

Regards,
Jonathan

Richard Ely wrote:
I have been using Knoppix KDE 2.6 installation and learning slowly. At an installfest I had the printer working perfectly.

I do not seem to be able to set up any printers. Whenever I run the KDE printer set-up utility, it tells me
"Connection to CUPS server failed" Unable to retrieve the printer list" .

To debug I looked for a Printcap file. Doesn't exist. I am sure.
I find a "printcap.cups" file, but is nearly empty - only some notes on faxing...

What can I do?

Shouldn't I have a Printcap file so when I am printing from x-term I can print?

Many Thanks

Dick Ely