2004 May 28 01:07

Re: recommended kernel char sets (was Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files[SOLVED])

Re: recommended kernel char sets (was Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files[SOLVED])

I recommend ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8.  ISO-8859-1 can handle most latin-based
languages, including English (and is probably the default for everything
you do on the system).  UTF-8 *can* handle all other languages, though
whether it will or not depends on the actual charset of the system you're
trying to access, but at least it gives you *some* ability to access
international charsets.  These days with internet spanning across the
globe it can be very useful to be able to access international charsets.
Debian binary kernel apparently has all the charsets available as modules,
which is a good idea if you plan on accessing random foreign languages at
some point.  Whether to build these into the kernel or as module depends
on how often you plan to use them, I suppose.

-Mark

PS: Anyone else noticed Google runs on the UTF-8 charset?

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/
Xanga: http://www.xanga.com/vindaci