2004 May 27 11:23

recommended kernel char sets (was Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files [SOLVED])

recommended kernel char sets (was Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files [SOLVED])

Mark K. Kim wrote:
<snip>
It's weird that Daniel's kernel didn't have UTF-8 support!  I figured it'd
be supported by default
<snip>

What are the recommended character sets to have in a kernel? Obviously, it will depend on whether you want exotic languages support. But for the Joe Shmoe English only user, what should be turned on? Pasted below are the defaults for my kernel. UTF8 is not on by default, and it sounds like it should be. Any others I might run into and should turn on with future kernel compiles? Would modules be OK?

Thanks,
Jonathan

<*> Base native language support
(iso8859-1) Default NLS Option
<*> Codepage 437 (United States, Canada)
< > Codepage 737 (Greek)
< > Codepage 775 (Baltic Rim)
< > Codepage 850 (Europe)
< > Codepage 852 (Central/Eastern Europe)
< > Codepage 855 (Cyrillic)
< > Codepage 857 (Turkish)
< > Codepage 860 (Portuguese)
< > Codepage 861 (Icelandic)
< > Codepage 862 (Hebrew)
< > Codepage 863 (Canadian French)
< > Codepage 864 (Arabic)
< > Codepage 865 (Norwegian, Danish)
< > Codepage 866 (Cyrillic/Russian)
< > Codepage 869 (Greek)
< > Simplified Chinese charset (CP936, GB2312)
< > Traditional Chinese charset (Big5)
< > Japanese charsets (Shift-JIS, EUC-JP)
< > Korean charset (CP949, EUC-KR)
< > Thai charset (CP874, TIS-620)
< > Hebrew charsets (ISO-8859-8, CP1255)
< > Windows CP1250 (Slavic/Central European Languages)
< > Windows CP1251 (Bulgarian, Belarusian)
<*> NLS ISO 8859-1 (Latin 1; Western European Languages)
< > NLS ISO 8859-2 (Latin 2; Slavic/Central European Languages)
< > NLS ISO 8859-3 (Latin 3; Esperanto, Galician, Maltese, Turkish)
< > NLS ISO 8859-4 (Latin 4; old Baltic charset)
< > NLS ISO 8859-5 (Cyrillic)
< > NLS ISO 8859-6 (Arabic)
< > NLS ISO 8859-7 (Modern Greek)
< > NLS ISO 8859-9 (Latin 5; Turkish)
< > NLS ISO 8859-13 (Latin 7; Baltic)
< > NLS ISO 8859-14 (Latin 8; Celtic)
< > NLS ISO 8859-15 (Latin 9; Western European Languages with Euro)
< > NLS KOI8-R (Russian)
< > NLS KOI8-U/RU (Ukrainian, Belarusian)
< > NLS UTF8