2004 May 27 02:05

Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files [SOLVED]

Finally after long last the problem is solved. Only took a new kernel ;-p I am not sure what gave me the idea, but something that I was reading triggered the memory that there are different kernel options for adding character sets.

For the 2.6 Kernel Branch I had to go into

File Systems
\---> Native Language Support
\---> NLS UTF8 Support

And enable. The once that was completed, I could now mount the drive with UTF8 support as suggested by Mark Kim.

# mount /dev/vg/media /usr/media/ -o iocharset=utf8

Not sure if I had to create the local first, because I did it before I modified the kernel. But on Gentoo these are the commands that I had to use to do that:

# localedef -i en_US -c -f UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8
# export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

I was successfully able to rename the files. Thanks for all the help everyone. Much appreciated.

Dan

Daniel Hurt wrote:
I have a question regarding deletion of files. In the conversion of my files from my windows to Linux, I had some files that had special characters in them. They copied to the Linux file system, but now I cannot access them to modify them. I was curious about how to go about removing these files:

ls: ./Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director´s Cut).avi: No such file or directory
ls: ./AFI - 03 - Y?rf Rendenmein.mp3: No such file or directory
ls: ./NOFX - 09 - Champs Elys?es.mp3: No such file or directory

Dan