2004 May 25 14:07

Re: [vox-tech] ssh with X11 remote

On 2004.05.25 10:34, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
I have an interesting problem with ssh and X11. I know how to use ssh with X11 forwarding to my local machine. However, I have a program that generates a series of image files, and it insists on connecting to an X server to do so. Running this via ssh means that ALL the data involved gets forwarded to my local machine and then back again; this is very inefficient.

Is there any way to run ssh and tell it to use its own X server?

Jonathan
Use Xvfb, the virtual xserver. It doesn't do any real display anywhere, but it acts like an xserver to any clients that connect to it. In debian, you can run a program with xvfb-run and xvfb-run takes care of choosing a display number and setting up environment variables appropriately.