2004 May 25 09:21

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Jonathan Stickel said the following on 05/24/04 09:17:
Bruce Wolk wrote:

Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Bruce Wolk wrote:

Rod Roark wrote:

On Friday 21 May 2004 09:27 pm, Bruce Wolk wrote:
<snip>

Thunderbird. But I am stumped trying to get decent printing. I have an hp laserjet 1300 and have set up cups and foomatic. The
<snip>

Don't give up on Gentoo yet! Printing from KDE apps sends the job through "kprinter". At the bottom of the kprinter window is a selection for "print system currently used". Make sure that cups is selected. I remember that something else, like lpr, was the default. If this doesn't work, let me know. I can think of other things to troubleshoot, one at a time.

BTW: you can use the kprinter system for printing in non-KDE apps, like acroread and mozilla. For the print command in the appropriate gui window, enter "kprinter".

cups is definitely selected. What is odd is that Kate prints out fine, but the Kword fonts are uniformly awful.

Gentoo has been great except for this one glitch, so I am not giving up yet, especially since openoffice works just fine.

Hmm... looking up your printer on linuxprinting.org (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1300), I see this note:

"User Notes
Printer works as designed.
The foomatic ppd file does not work, use the NT ppd file in CUPS.
It can be found on the cd that comes with the printer.
The file is called "hp1300nt.ppd" and there should be multiple ones for
each translation. Works perfectly, just copy it to /usr/share/cups/model/
to use it with CUPS."

I added the hp1300nt.ppd file. Trying to install a printer with cups gave me no new options. In fact cups lists only a few hp drivers. So I am wondering whether something is wrong there. But I was able to add a printer with the new driver using kde printing manager and activate it through cups. Kate prints even nicer now--no dithering on the greyscale--but Kword prints poorly still and, even more surprisingly, firefox won't print at all! The printer light also flashes continuously after a job. So I am back to square one.

Would an unmerge of cups and foomatic followed by an emerge be worth a try, or is that dangerous?

Bruce