2004 May 23 20:09

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Re: [vox-tech] Gentoo printer font problem

Rod Roark wrote:
On Friday 21 May 2004 09:27 pm, Bruce Wolk wrote:

After I managed to wreck my Redhat 9 set-up trying to upgrade to KDE
3.2, I decided to start over with Gentoo.  It has been quite a ride, but
I now have a working system with KDE, Firefox, and Thunderbird.  But I
am stumped trying to get decent printing.  I have an hp laserjet 1300
and have set up cups and foomatic.  The test page from the CUPS print
manager prints beautifully.  But any printing from the KDE programs,
such as Kword or Kate, produce ugly, barely readable text.

Do any of you Gentoo folks have a suggestion?  Or is fedora in my future?

Not sure what you've tried already.  The choice of fonts can
matter a great deal.  And then there's the Gentoo Printing
Guide:

  http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml

-- Rod
I have tried installing the printer a number of ways: the cups web gui http://localhost:631, the kde printer installer, and the brute force foomatic command line.  The printer prints the cups test page beautifully. Oddly, some applications now print ok, such as Kate and Thunderbird, which didn't when I initially faced this problem.  But in Kword the fonts still print ugly.  A postscript printer shouldn't have these problems.  Perhaps I should try openoffice and see what happens there.  Another long emerge...

I have been impressed with Gentoo, but this printing problem is a deal breaker.  I am bittorrenting Fedora Core 2 as I write.  I'll put it on my second drive and see if things go better.

Bruce