January 6: Social gathering
2004 May 21 16:24

Re: [vox-tech] Removing Files

Thanks,

I tried this command sequence and it did not seem to work. Which is what I think I should do from skimming these posts in the Gentoo forums:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=166984&highlight=localedef
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=34923&highlight=localedef

[/] > localedef -i en_US -c -f UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8
[/] > export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
[/home/hurt] > mount -t jfs -O iocharset=utf8 /dev/vg/media /usr/media/
[/home/hurt] > cd /usr/media/movies/
[/usr/media/movies] > ls
ls: /usr/media/movies/Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director´s Cut).avi: No such file or directory
[/usr/media/movies] > cd /
[/] > umount /usr/media/
[/] > mount -t jfs -O iocharset=utf8 /dev/vg/media /usr/media/
[/] > ls /usr/media/movies/
ls: /usr/media/movies/Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director´s Cut).avi: No such file or directory
[/] > umount /usr/media/
[/] > mount -t jfs -O iocharset=UTF-8 /dev/vg/media /usr/media/
[/] > ll /usr/media/movies/
ls: /usr/media/movies/Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (Director´s Cut).avi: No such file or directory
total 0

I need to read more closely through the forums for Gentoo on how to get UTF-8 supported and how to mount a file system with that enabled. I will work on that more tonight when I have time. Thanks for the direction, I think that I am close to a solution now :-)

Dan

Mark K. Kim wrote:
Your system probably doesn't support UTF-8.  You can generate the
support but I'm not sure how to do it for Gentoo.  Debian uses
`localedef`, and it goes like this:

   localedef -i en_US -c -f UTF-8 -A /etc/locale.alias en_US.UTF-8

which generates the American English locale using the UTF-8 character set.
Then you can use this locale like this:

   export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

Then try mounting with the "-o iocharset=UTF-8" option.

You can also try another charset.  ISO-8859-1, Windows-1252, ISO-8859-2,
etc.

-Mark