2004 May 12 11:55

[vox-tech] Alert! Regulator failure.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 running sarge that completely freezes up every
once in a while.  So I do a hard reboot and get "Alert!  Regulator failure."
before the BIOS splash.  Only after a shutdown (power off) can I boot back
up.  I can find confirmation of this problem out there on the overclocking
sites, but still no real answers for a fix.  Anybody run into this before?
Is this a fatal flaw in the motherboard? (mobo specs not available right
now)  I was gonna start looking into a system upgrade anyway, but for the
time being it would be nice to know what I'm up against here.

Joey

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2256a.htm

The following clip is from the above link:

Additional Information
The electrical problem on the affected motherboards is triggered by computer
operations that use the pathway (called a bus) between the processor and the
RAM for an excessive number of microseconds. This problem can be triggered
by the operating system or other applications; however, it often appears
when using Photoshop or Photoshop Album because few other applications move
memory as rapidly as Photoshop or Photoshop Album does.
In Compaq Presario notebook computers, either the electrical problem cited
above or an overheated display card may cause the screen to turn black or
the computer to restart.
The electrical problem also occurs with Dell Optiplex GX1 computers and ASUS
P2B-F and P3B-F motherboards and possibly with other motherboards.
Background information
The electrical problem on the affected motherboards is triggered by computer
operations that use the pathway (called a bus) between the processor and the
RAM for an excessive number of microseconds. This problem can be triggered
by the operating system or other applications; however, it often appears
when using Photoshop or Photoshop Album because few other applications move
memory as rapidly as Photoshop or process data as intensely as Photoshop
Album during certain operations. For example, when Photoshop Album generates
thumbnails while importing files, it uses the MMXCore extension
(MMXCore.8bx) extensively. Because Photoshop Album requires more processor
power when using the MMXCore extension, the usage may trigger an electrical
problem on some motherboards.