2004 May 09 19:43

Re: [vox-tech] Data Conversion From M$ to Linux Question

Re: [vox-tech] Data Conversion From M$ to Linux Question

Thanks for all the information. I have about 100Gb of the data backed up to CD-r so I think I will go check on the price of DVD-r and see how they compare to a new Hard-drive.

Also thanks for the information on the BIOS raid vs software raid.

Dan

Rick Moen wrote:
Quoting Henry House (hajhouse@houseag.com):

I would go with software RAID over BIOS-based IDE RAID. I have heard mixed
reports about BIOS-based IDE RAID. The Linux drivers are likely more
flexible, besides.

Essentially all ATA ("IDE") BIOS-based RAID is manufacturer-proprietary
and not very good.  I can't think of any exceptions.  One consequence of
it being manufacturer-proprietary is that, if the card dies, you have
very little practical option but to go buy another identical card,
unless you're happy with restoring from tape backups.  With Linux
software RAID ("md" driver), you can switch to a different host adapter
at will.

My SATA page may be of some use, in this area:  "Serial ATA" on
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Hardware .