2004 May 08 16:07

Re: [vox-tech] Hardware Recommendations?

Re: [vox-tech] Hardware Recommendations?

I just built a new computer.  I used a gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2.  It's worked
fine for me, it's and AMD socket and has dual channel memory.  If I had to
do it again I'd use it's little brother the GA-7N400L.

The Pro2 model has 2 normal IDE ports and 2 additional IDE ports on a raid
chip
It has an onboard Realtek 8110S Gigabit network adapter

The only things I don't like about this board are that both onboard chips
(above) have bios settings (press f4 to enter configuration or some such)
and it takes longer to boot, while it waits to time out for the prompt.
Also the 8110S network adapter uses the realtek 8169 driver that seems to be
broke in the debian sarge distribution, so I have to boot with a regular
card, finish the install, recompile the kernel, then the card works

The GA-7N400L doesn't have the stuff described, and uses a realtek 8139
(which just works)

Jay