2004 May 06 11:01

Re: [vox-tech] Help please DSL on Debian Libranet

On Wed 05 May 04, 10:36 AM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net> said:
> Richard Ely wrote:
> >Group, I would appreciate some help.
> >
> >I and Richard Berkhart have been at this problem for  2 days of
> >frustration, and are getting desperate.
> >
> >I have a small network at home.  I have Linux on three computers and we
> >are trying to connect them to the Internet through DSL.

> For DSL on more than one computer, I really recommend a DSL router.  I
> am amazed at how simple a solution this is.  The router takes care of
> making the DSL connection, and then acts as a local server (DHCP if you
> like).  All the computers just need to have a simple ethernet connection
> to talk to each other and see the internet.  In addition, you end up
> with a no-brainer NAT firewall.

i have a pentium II/233 running LEAF (a linux distribution for this very
purpose).

i can't recommend it highly enough.

there are no fans in the computer at all.  it's so silent that i have no
way of knowing whether it's on or not except to ping it from another
computer.

LEAF is a dream, if you're OK with learning by doing.  the config files
are heavily commented, and google fills in the rest.

if someone were to ever hack into my home network, i have the peace of
mind that at least they are incapable of putting a trojan on my router
because my PII machine has no hard drive.  it boots directly off of a
CD and write protected floppy.

> Of course, this doesn't work so well if you want a static internet IP
> for web hosting or such.

why not?  when i had a static IP, we had between 5 and 7 computers
running at any given time.  i ran my own mail server, web server, and
ftp server.

just forward the relevent ports to the machine behind the router.  runs
great!

pete