2004 May 05 10:56

Re: [vox-tech] Help please DSL on Debian Libranet

Re: [vox-tech] Help please DSL on Debian Libranet

Richard Ely wrote:
Group, I would appreciate some help.

I and Richard Berkhart have been at this problem for 2 days of frustration, and are getting desperate.

I have a small network at home. I have Linux on three computers and we are trying to connect them to the Internet through DSL.

For DSL on more than one computer, I really recommend a DSL router. I am amazed at how simple a solution this is. The router takes care of making the DSL connection, and then acts as a local server (DHCP if you like). All the computers just need to have a simple ethernet connection to talk to each other and see the internet. In addition, you end up with a no-brainer NAT firewall.

Of course, this doesn't work so well if you want a static internet IP for web hosting or such. But for the Joe Shmoe user, like me, it works great.

Jonathan