2004 May 05 09:38

Re: [vox-tech] Compile 2.6.5 kernel Debian-style, get unbootable system

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 04:04:33AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Wed 05 May 04,  3:55 AM, Issac Trotts <ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu> said:
> >
> > I haven't yet found a way to get a recompiled 2.6.5 kernel to run.
> > Its latest complaint is
> >
> >     VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> >     Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> >     Kernel panic: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> >
> > which also comes up when I choose 2.6.5 in "recovery mode" in GRUB.
>
> have you searched our archives?

No, but I have done several Google searches.  I'm having trouble getting
anything useful from the Lugod archives on this topic.  Do you have a
particular thread in mind?

BTW, I just recompiled 2.6.3 using a verbatim copy of the config file
from a kernel that works on my system: kernel-image-2.6.3-1-k7.
I got a kernel panic here as well:

    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I got rid of this error by statically linking in some IDE stuff for my
hard drive.  Now I'm getting an error like this:

    ide_floppy driver 0.99.newide
    kobject_register failed for IDE (-17)
    call trace:
        .
        .
        .
    hda 39197MB.  CHS=4997/255/63
    devfs_mk_dir: invalid_argument. <6> hda mumble

I tried a bunch of different configurations and several Google searches
but the problem is still there.

--
Issac Trotts
http://mallorn.ucdavis.edu/~ijtrotts