2004 May 05 19:35

Re: [vox-tech] Compile 2.6.5 kernel Debian-style, get unbootable system

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 03:55:27AM -0700, Issac Trotts wrote:
> Part of the problem now seems to be resolved.  I used GRUB this time,
> which made the boot loading part much easier.  All the needed info was
> in /usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian.
>
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 12:55:44AM -0700, Issac Trotts wrote:
> > Here's what I remember of what happened:
> >
> > $ apt-get kernel-source-2.6.5
> > $ tar xjvf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.5.tar.bz2
> > $ cd kernel-source-2.6.5
> > $ cp /boot/config-2.6.3-1-686 .config  # or something similar
> > $ make menuconfig
> > $ MAKEFLAGS='CC=gcc-3.3' fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -686 \
> > kernel_image modules_image
> > $ cd ..
> > $ sudo dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.5-686_.01_i386.deb
>
> First, I reinstalled Debian since my floppy drive is hosed (so I can't
> use a rescue floppy) and I couldn't figure out how to use the install
> CD as a rescue disk.
>
> Then I compiled kernel version 2.4.25 using /boot/config-2.4.22-1-386.
> For all questions involving LILO, I told it to do nothing.  Once the
> questioning stopped, I ran update-grub to automatically update the boot
> menu.

You might be interested in my /etc/kernel-img.conf

# Do not create symbolic links in /
postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub
do_bootloader = no
do_symlinks = no
do_initrd = Yes

> I was then able to boot the recompiled 2.4.25, but the networking was
> intolerably slow.  Running /sbin/ifconfig showed me that there were
> lots of network errors, but I couldn't tell how to track them down.
>
> I haven't yet found a way to get a recompiled 2.6.5 kernel to run.
> Its latest complaint is
>
>     VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
>     Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>     Kernel panic: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> which also comes up when I choose 2.6.5 in "recovery mode" in GRUB.

I have a working .config for kernel 2.6.5, ask me if you want it.