2004 May 05 10:37

Re: [vox-tech] Help please DSL on Debian Libranet

Re: [vox-tech] Help please DSL on Debian Libranet

På tisdag, 04 maj 2004, skrev Richard Ely:
[...]
> Currently, x windows works fine.
>
> Issue 1:   The ice desktop works.   Neither gnome nor KDE work.  KDE,for
> example, gets to "Initializing System Services" then simply stops.  Please
> help.

To debug this you will need to view the diagnostic output of KDE. I think
that starting X manually and capturing the output to a logfile will do the
trick. Try

	typescript kde.log # starts a log of all console output in file kde.log
	startx /usr/bin/startkde -- :1 # start x server number 1 to not interfere
	                               # with number 0 that may be already
											 # running
	exit

I suspect that you will find some useful information about what KDE is doing
when its freezed. You can use the same procedure for Gnome.

> *******************************
>
> Issue two:
> On the desktop gateway system I am fighting  pon DSL-provider install
> utility that comes with libranet.
> I install and reinstall the DSL-provider the PPP  over DSL Libranet
> configuration utility.  Sometimes it works, but not often ... then after a
> brief while - it simply stops.  It will work for a while, then for no
> reason there is no connection between the browsers and the DSL
> modem.  Reboot and reinstall it occasionally works until I try to ping an
> internal networked computer - then its dead.
>
> When I look with ifconfig, it looks OK to me.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Have you tried looking at the logfiles of
PPPd?  Debian has a tool called plog for inspecting them---does Libranet
have this? By 'browser' do you mean the web browser or the entire computer?
If the former, do other network programs fail too?

I hope this helps. You might consider contacting LERT for help since many
network troubles are best addressed on-site.

--
Henry House
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> to find out how to verify it.