2004 May 03 22:48

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox-if] [rsvp-May15] Mandrake 9.2 + WinXP; trying to install Fedora Core on Virtual PC

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox-if] [rsvp-May15] Mandrake 9.2 + WinXP; trying to install Fedora Core on Virtual PC

Mark hit it on the head (except Mono is an Open Source implementation of .NET,
it runs on windows as well).  My logic is: (C & C++):(gcc)::(C# and
VB.NET):(Mono).  C# isn't a traditional compiled "language" (M$ calls it part
of the .NET 'framework'), parts of it are interpreted.

I don't think that Mono is included with Redhat/Fedora.  You need to D/L it
from their site, but they have source/RPM/DEB/windows .MSI, so it's fairly
easy.

He also wants to get it running in a VM on WinXP (I use VMware daily, but never
Virtual PC)...

I am nominally interested in Mono and .NET, is there anyone else sick in the
head like me?

The next question is since he is a fair hike away from davis, are we going to
make him drive all the way out for an IF, or can we/should we try to help him
via the list/IM/something else?  I'll be at the IF...

--jan

--- "Mark K. Kim" <lugod@cbreak.org> wrote:
> C# is a relatively new programming language from Microsoft used to program
> the .NET framework (among others).  .NET is for network programming, I
> think.  Mono is a Linux implementation of .NET... from the Gnome team, I
> think.  I guess Go-Mono is an implementation of Mono.  That's all I know.
> I don't know where to find Go-Mono or if Fedora comes with Go-Mono on a CD
> or if it's available on some website or how to test a C# program once
> Go-Mono is installed and I don't know the C# syntax (I know it's similar
> to C++ but that's about it.)
>
> Recruit someone from the CS club... maybe the CSIF has someone who's
> installed Go-Mono before, or at least someone who knows how to program
> .NET...
>
> -Mark
>

> On Mon, 3 May 2004, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
> > Anybody on this list know what this person is talking about?  Would you
> > be willing to come help him at the installfest on May 17?  If so, please
> > email if@lugod.org, or sign up and post to vox-if@lists.lugod.org.
> >
> > As an alternative, if you think this is something he can get help with
> > via the vox-tech list, let me know and I will encourage him to sign up
> here.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jonathan
> >

> > > Installfest RSVP
> > >
> > > Name: Kenny Spade
> > >
> > > 03_CPU: Pentium 5 / Compat.
> > >
> > > 04_Speed: 2400
> > >
> > > 05_RAM: 512
> > >
> > > 06_HD_Sizes: 120 GB
> > >
> > > 07_Video: NVidia GeForce FX 5600
> > >
> > > 08_Monitor: Impression 17 in Flat screen
> > >
> > <snip>
> > > 16_Problems: I currently have Mandrake 9.2 installed on a partition
> alongside WinXP, and am running well with it. I am currently attempting an
> install of Fedora Core on a Virtual PC. I\'ve got the basics down, but what
> I\'m really looking for out of the installfest is some help getting some
> development tools set up. Specifically, I am trying to get Go-Mono running
> for development in C#. If there would be a better time for this than an
> installfest, or if there isn\'t anyone available to help me with it, please
> let me know. I live a couple of hours away from Davis, but it\'s the closest
> place with a regular schedule of installfests.
> > >
> > > 17_Arrive-Time: 12pm

> --
> Mark K. Kim
> AIM: markus kimius
> Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/
> Xanga: http://www.xanga.com/vindaci
> Friendster: http://www.friendster.com/user.jsp?id=13046
> PGP key fingerprint: 7324 BACA 53AD E504 A76E  5167 6822 94F0 F298 5DCE
> PGP key available on the homepage

=====
EDUCATION, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the
foolish their lack of understanding.