2004 May 03 22:48

Re: [vox-tech] bash environment variables (and KDE) resolved!

Re: [vox-tech] bash environment variables (and KDE) resolved!

Ken Bloom wrote:
On 2004.04.30 15:11, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Ken Bloom wrote:

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 10:33:28AM -0700, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

There are still a couple things in linux that seem to be unnecessarily convoluted and really bug me. One is sound, which I've finally managed to work around using alsa and dmix.

The other is handling user-specified shell environment variables. I use bash, and by trial and error I've found I can put what I want in . bashrc. IIRC, I remember reading that this really isn't the place for custom variables, but this is what has worked for me. Recently, I've defined $TEXINPUTS, a path variable for tex/latex. When I run latex from shell, it uses the path I've defined by $TEXINPUTS correctly. However, if I start Emacs from KDE's kmenu, $TEXINPUTS is NOT read, and thus running latex from within Emacs doesn't work like I expect. It turns out that KDE, when started through xdm/kdm, does not read .bashrc at all (http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2002/debian-kde-200209/msg00083.html). However, .bashrc does get read when starting a shell from within KDE.

So my question is: what really is the correct place to put user- specific bash variables? And, how do I make KDE read them when logging in from kdm?

Well, I use a .xsession script to log in from kdm (my default session
is "Custom" which runs my .xsession). My .xsession uses bash as its
interpreter, which sources .profile, and .profile in turn sources
.bashrc, so everything defined in these files becomes available before
my .xsession starts my window manager.

Could you post your Custom session and .xession files, or at least the relevant parts?

I don't know where this Custom session file lives

[bloom@kabloom /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions]$ cat ~/.xsession
#!/bin/bash --login

<snip>

My kdm session files are in /etc/X11/Sessions. In here there is a shell script called "kde-3.2.1" which is launched when I choose "kde-3.2.1" when logging in from kdm. This script is just one line which calls the script /usr/kde/3.2/bin/startkde. The top line of this script, by default, is

#!/bin/sh --login

Changing it to

#!/bin/bash --login
^^^^
has resolved my problem! Now my custom environmental variables are read from my ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc at login, and are available when launching programs from the kmenu. Thanks to those who responded and gave clues how to fix this!

Jonathan