2004 May 02 21:01

Re: [vox-tech] Remove a filesystem

Without going into the details of what you mean by "unformatting" (since
it can mean many things), I think what you wanna do is just write over the
old data:

   # cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdc2

(Assuming you want to "unformat" /dev/hdc2.)  You can leave it running for
a couple seconds, then Ctrl-C out of it if you don't wanna wait for it to
finish running.  Afterwards the partition should appear to be
"unformatted" to other programs.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE ABOVE COMMAND SET -- TYPE CAREFULLY OR OTHERWISE YOU
CAN WIPE OUT ALL SORTS OF THINGS ON YOUR COMPUTER UNINTENTIONALLY!

-Mark

On Sun, 2 May 2004 me@heyjay.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a command to remove a filesystem?
>
> If I partition a disk, build a filesystem (mke2fs), is there anything like
> rme2fs?  I'm playing with software raid and after I've built my raid device,
> built a filesystem on it, mounted it, I'd like to delete the filesystem, so
> that the next time I do a:
>
> mdadm -C /dev/md0 --level raid1 --raid-disks 2 missing /dev/hdc1
>
> It doesn't give me a message like:
> mdadm: /dev/hdc2 appears to contain an ext2fs file system
>     size=40001728K  mtime=Sun May  2 22:32:37 2004
> mdadm: /dev/hdc2 appears to be part of a raid array:
>     level=1 devices=2 ctime=Sun May  2 22:28:46 2004
> Continue creating array? y
>

> Thanks
> Jay

Mark K. Kim