2004 May 01 16:39

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel upgrade from Sarge (fresh install) 2.4.25 ->2.6.3 or 5

On Sat, 1 May 2004, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> On Sat 01 May 04, 10:39 AM, me@heyjay.com <me@heyjay.com> said:
> > VFS - Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> > Please append correct "Root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> well, this pretty much tells it all.  the kernel panics because it
> doesn't know where to find the root of your filesystem.
>
> [...]
>
> have no idea with grub, but i always through grub automagically finds
> the root partition...
>
> pete

Hi,

If you are using grub, here is the relevant line from my menu.lst file:

title 2.4.18-1-k7
kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz-2.4.18-1-k7 root=/dev/hda9 hdd=ide-scsi

I had to specify the root partition because it's not on the same partition
as /boot (hd0,1).

HTH,
Foo