2004 Apr 30 16:33

RE: [vox-tech] oracle -> MySQL conversion

Okay, okay, I take back what I said about the feature thing in
PostgreSQL, it looks like MySQL is coming right along...but, at this
point, the new features of MySQL are relatively immature...but if your
application doesn't demand them now, maybe you can afford to wait.

Cheers,

mcl

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org
[mailto:vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org] On Behalf Of Edward Elliott
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 4:04 PM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] oracle -> MySQL conversion

I think we've tossed in our two cents, but I just got a notice
today from O'Reilly about a new MySQL book that might be
pertinent if you decide to go in that direction.

Here's the marketing blurb from O'Reilly

---------------

In "High Performance MySQL," you'll learn about MySQL
indexing and optimization in depth so you can make better
use of these key features. The book then covers practical
replication, backup, and load-balancing strategies,
exploring available tools in detail with additional discussions
of the issues surrounding their use in real-life environments.
And you'll learn the supporting techniques you need to carry out
these tasks, including  advanced configuration, benchmarking,
and investigating logs.

"Now more than ever, MySQL is being used in larger and more
visible roles," says co-author Jeremy Zawodny. "Bigger applications
demand the kind of performance and reliability that MySQL can provide
--if you apply it correctly. This book helps developers understand
what it takes to make MySQL work in larger and more critical
environments."

Topics covered in the book include:
-Configuration and setup options
-Storage engines and table types
-Benchmarking
-Query Optimization
-Application Design
-Server Performance
-Replication
-Load-balancing
-Backup and Recovery
-Security

To order your copy or for more information, see:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/hpmysql/
or call 1-800-998-9938
or email orders@oreilly.com

High Performance MySQL