2004 Apr 29 01:08

Re: [vox-tech] oracle -> MySQL conversion

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 05:29 pm, David Hummel wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:55:33PM -0700, Jan W wrote:
> > Don't interpret this as knocking Postgres, I use it and think it's
> > great.  It's just not a mature codebase the way that Oracle and other
> > RDBMS's are...
>
> The Postgres codebase is very mature.  It was around long before most of
> the other databases you mentioned, and has undergone many major
> revisions.  If you familiarize yourself with its history, you'll learn
> that Postgres pioneered many of the advanced features found in
> commercial databases like Oracle, DB2, etc.  Not to mention it's object
> oriented features...
>
> I do agree that the decision should be based on features that you
> actually need (and many people aren't aware of what they need).  If you
> need rock-solid transactions, triggers, stored procedures, inheritance,
> etc., use Postgres.  If your main requirements are speed and ease of
> administration, go with MySQL.

I disagree with the admin part.  MySQL is no easier IMO to run than postgres.

where you really get the benefit from MySQL is speed.  Unless you need
triggers or have an app that specifically and totally won't run on anything
other than postgres, I would steer clear of it.

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org
Mike Wenk