2004 Apr 28 18:44

RE: [vox-tech] oracle -> MySQL conversion

--- matthewlange <matthewlange@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dylan, Definitely Postgres.
>
> You may not need the functionality now, but you may want it in the
> future.

My $0.02:

Unless you really need the advanced features of Postgres, MySQL should do
everything you need it to do, and be a little more lightweight.  I am not
saying that you should definitely go one way or another, just that MySQL might
perform better for your application.

I think we decided on Postgres because MySQL didn't have transactions at the
time, and that was one feature we needed.

Given the size (+50GB) and if you don't need the features of Postgres, I
wouldn't completely write off MySQL, b/c in it's simplicity lies it's beauty.

We only let our postgres dbs to a certain size (more than a million rows in our
schema), b/c they really slow down (mind you, we use PC's off the shelf).  That
would be my worry for you in this case:  you get all your data imported and all
your queries working and... it's slower than you would like it to be.

Don't interpret this as knocking Postgres, I use it and think it's great.  It's
just not a mature codebase the way that Oracle and other RDBMS's are... and
anyone who says that Postgres is a fast RDBMS is fooling themselves.  And since
you're coming from Oracle, your operation might be attuned to it's performance.

The guys over at GreatBridge have made really strong advances, but the
competition is stiff.  And MySQL has made some really strong advances as well.

Keep a laser beam focus on the features that _you_ need and the right choice
will become self-evident.

--that was quite a rant,

jan

=====
EDUCATION, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the
foolish their lack of understanding.