2004 Apr 24 11:58

Re: [vox-tech] Sandisk ImageMate SDDR-05a (usb CF reader)

Re: [vox-tech] Sandisk ImageMate SDDR-05a (usb CF reader)

I've discovered that I can use this device without trouble on my laptop, with the same kernel. The problem apparently is with the usb driver, uhci vs. ohci. My laptop uses uhci (works), and my desktop uses ohci (doesn't work). I guess I wait for a kernel upgrade or two. :(

Jonathan

Jonathan Stickel wrote:
I've got an old Sandisk ImageMate SDDR-05a, a simple usb device to read compact flash memory cards, with an eject button. It used to "just work" with RedHat 8/9 and kernel ~2.4.20. I hadn't used it in months, and have since installed Gentoo and kernel 2.6.(1,3,5). Now it doesn't work anymore. Most times it detects the device and loads the usb-storage and scsi_mod modules, but no scsi partitions show up in /proc/partitions. Sometimes they do show, but I can't mount them. Here are the relavent lines in dmesg when I can see sda1 and try to mount:

ohci_hcd: 2004 Feb 02 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver (PCI)
<snip>
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Dec-29
<snip>
usb 1-3: new full speed USB device using address 2
SCSI subsystem initialized
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Vendor: Model: Rev:
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
sda: assuming Write Enabled
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 6000000
Sense class 0, sense error 0, extended sense 0
sda: sda1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0
scsi0 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
FAT: unable to read boot sector

The card still works for my camera and with the Sandisk reader in Windows. I can't think of much to try. I goggled and found kernel patches for the SDDR-05b (no eject button), but not much for SDDR-05a. Does anyone else have this device? Anything else I can check out? If not, I'll just go to Fry's and buy a different card reader.

Thanks,
Jonathan