2004 Apr 21 13:43

Re: [vox-tech] monitor troubles

Quoting Jennifer Stickel (jrstickel@ucdavis.edu):

> Is there a tool I can use to figure out the amount of video RAM or do I
> have to look for manuals that might list that?

/var/log/XFree86.0.log (created each time the X server starts up) should
include stuff like this:

XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0-7 20040318043201 root@cyberhq.internal.cyb
erhqz.com)
Release Date: 15 August 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.4 i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 18 March 2004
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.17 (root@jtech5) (gcc version 2.95.4 (Debian prerelease)) #1 2002. 02. 04. (<BF><F9>) 14:54:36 KST
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Apr 20 03:51:27 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"

[big, big snip]

(--) TRIDENT(0): Found 3DImage975 chip
(--) TRIDENT(0): RAM type is SGRAM
(--) TRIDENT(0): Using HW cursor
(--) TRIDENT(0): VideoRAM: 4096 kByte

[...]

--
<BLINK>Resize your browser so the following line touches both margins!</BLINK>
                           <HR WIDTH="75%">