2004 Apr 18 22:27

[vox-tech] Re: [vox-if] Help please - must be root to play audio CD

[vox-tech] Re: [vox-if] Help please - must be root to play audio CD

(Moved to vox-tech, since vox-if is mostly for IF planning, not tech questions)

chmod should definitely help.
I'm not sure how SuSE handles things, but in Debian, they usually set up
a Unix group called "disk", and then you can add various people to it.

So, for example, the file would look like:

  brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/hdc

-bill!
(remaining left to show context, since this thread has moved lists...)

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 06:50:08PM -0700, Seth Nagao wrote:
> It looks like you need to change the permissions on your /dev/hdc.  The
> quick fix would probably be changing it rw all via chmod 666 /dev/hdc
> (as root).  Some please correct me if I am wrong, or propose a better
> solution.
>
> --Seth
>
> nighthawk999@bigvalley.net wrote:
>
> >Y'all helped me with a TP 600 running Suse Linux 9.0...
> >Sound works fine as long as I modprobe cs4232 after
> >I log in.
> >
> >I have to be root in order to play an audio CD,
> >otherwide I get an access denied message...
> >
> >my regular username is a member of the audio
> >group, the video group, dialout group...
> >
> >symlink from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc looks
> >like a 777 ls -l /dev/hdc looks like a 660
> >and the ownership is rooot root.
> >
> >What do I do??
> >
> >TIA
> >Shorter

bill@newbreedsoftware.com | Milhouse, you ready to imitate that Jackass show?
newbreedsoftware.com/bill | All those disclaimers made me want to do it more!