2004 Apr 12 23:44

Re: [vox-tech] [non-linux] windows ME PC automatically restarts

Re: [vox-tech] [non-linux] windows ME PC automatically restarts

Yeah, I've heard that before: "I think it's a virus because programs don't
work right."  I say "think Microsoft"... -_-'

To force-shutdown:

   1. Start -> Shut down
   2. Wait until the "waiting to power down" screen comes up.
   3. Press and hold the power button for ~5 seconds.

Microsoft claims this is safe.

To *fix* the problem, upgrade to Windows XP or downgrade to Windows 98.
Windows ME was a piece of crap released before its time just so Microsoft
can release an OS with the word "Millennium" in it.  AMOF, I'm skeptical
of any product released in the late year 2000... it's probably a product
that wasn't tested thoroughly enough and was released just to have "2000"
in its name somewhere.

BTW, the more you unplug it, the more damage you're gonna cause to your
computer.  Someone asked if this is an eMachine computer, right?  That's
kind of funny 'cuz long long time ago this one time my mom unplugged a
computer while I was playing a game, and it destroyed the floppy disk in
the drive (the computers had no hard drives at the time so everything ran
off of the floppy.)  This computer was an Apple II clone made by a company
named Trigem, which [funfact]happens to be the parent company of eMachines
today[/funfact] so... stop unplugging things... especially eMachines
computers... =P

-Mark

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Rob Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 22:48:06PM -0700, dylan wrote:
> >
> > i apologize in advance for this windows-related question....
> >
> > the other day my dad noticed that IE icon was no longer on his desktop
> > (windows ME), and all normal efforts to make it come back did not work.
> > also, he has noticed that since the IE icon has dissapeared from the desktop
> > the machine will no longer shutdown _properly_ ... to elaborate, after
> > shutting the machine down the screen goes dark for about 5 minutes, and then
> > the machine re-boots and is back in windows again. the only way to turn it
> > off is to unplug it.
> >
> > not using a windows machine, and i am not sure what to say about some people
> > claiming that this behavior might be indicative of some kind of virus.
>
> Any chance it's an eMachine? I'm not sure about the virus possibility or
> the IE problem, but I have seen a similar reboot issue a number of
> times, most often with eMachines. It was usually traced back to a dying
> power suply.  The one time it wasn't, it had to do with a dead CMOS
> battery. (My roommate had to put her eMachine on a power strip with a
> switch... sometimes it would reboot when told to shut down. Other times
> it would randomly decided to boot back up, anywhere from minutes to
> hours later.)

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius
Homepage: http://www.cbreak.org/