2004 Apr 10 15:10

Re: [vox-tech] installing suse linux 8.1

It appears that another OS can work on it.  It has to be a compatibility
issue of my motherboard or memory.

This looks like a job for SUPER INSTALLFEST! (doing my best superman pose).

I can always build another box w/ old motherboard and use that but darn!, I
wanted to see how suse works on a top of the line setup.

Jim George
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rod Roark" <rod@sunsetsystems.com>
To: <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] installing suse linux 8.1

> On Friday 09 April 2004 11:39 pm, Jimbo wrote:
> > Greetings:
> > I am having a hard time installing suse on my newly built pc.  I had
sucessfully installed it many times before on my old pc.

> > I have the boxed version of suse 8.1 professional.  I load up via cd.
It shows me various options to installing.  I choose the top one
(installation) which I have done in the past.  Then it loads kernel.
Screens pop up asking what language and type of keyboard.  I hit enter on
both occassions. Then, and this is where installation halts, a message pops
up asking me to be sure that cd 1 is installed.  I press enter for ok.  Then
a red box pops up and states that cd rom can not be mounted.

> > I tried to go manual installation but same error.  I have tried
alternative installation disk 2 but same results.

> > I have a P4 800mhz processor with 1GB memory and an intel motherboard.
Thinking it might be my cd rom I changed it with my other one that was used
to install suse before but same results.