2004 Apr 09 11:50

Re: [vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

Re: [vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

Doctorcam wrote:

* Trevor M. Lango (tmlango@sbcglobal.net) wrote:

/dev/input/event0 perhaps...?

Thanks, but no joy with that. I have seen reviews that state quite
clearly that for both the M30 and the M35 (very similar),
"/dev/event/mice" is the correct choice. Using anything else appears
to cause the server to crash.

There is an entry when nvidia.o is loaded, noting "silken mouse
enabled" or some such thing. I don't think that means much.
I have started gpm, which uses usbmouse, and set the device in
XF86Config to /dev/gpmdata. kdm starts fine, but there's no reaction
from the mouse. I'm stumped.

this may very well be the issue. i use gpm, and X, and a usb mouse and this is how Ii have things set up:

/dev/mouse needs to be a symbolic link to /dev/event/mice
your mouse device in XF86Config should point to /dev/mouse (the link). gpm should already be looking for /dev/mouse, so that's probably fine.

do a "cat /dev/mouse" and/or a "cat /dev/event/mice" to make sure this is working. you should see some garbage characters each time you move the mouse. this means it's working. if you don't see those garbage characters, make sure you have the correct modules loaded. the correct modules are: usb-uhci (or usb-ohci in some cases), usbcore, input, hid, and mousedev, most or all of those may load automatically for you if you use hotplug. i don't use hotplug so i had to load hid and mousedev myself. i'll leave it to you to figure out how to do that at boot time on your system, but it generally requires editing /etc/modules.conf. for testing, just run "modprobe hid" and then "modprobe mousedev". use "lsmod" to check, and then try another "cat /dev/mouse". if everything is working at this point, when you "startx", you'll get a working mouse...

dave m.

Cam