2004 Apr 09 22:41

[vox-tech] wol/acpi

Hello,

I have some basic questions about acpi.

When I had a machine that used apm, I would use apm/apmd to run something
apm -s to suspend the machine, and apm by itself to query the battery
power (actually, I was using the KDE power-saving options to configure
this, but the result is the same).

What are the equivelent commands in the acpi realm?

I attempted to run: echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep
This came out of an acpi linux howto with a date of 2001, so I don't know
how up to date it is.  The result of the above command was a long blink on
the screen and then everything came right back.  The only evidence I have
that acpid is doing anything is that the machine shuts all the way down
when I run halt.

Supposing I can use ACPI to run an S1/sleep suspend (as I have it
configured in the bios, and as I've read is possible), can I also finetune
when/how the machine suspends (harddisk, display, etc.)?

Supposedly, (in the bios) I have wake on lan configured.  Can this be made
to respond to any lan request?  For example, one of my machines is
basically a print server (among other things).  I feel like I'd save on
energy if it wasn't sitting there humming along all day waiting for one or
two print requests.  Can this machine be configured to suspend itself
after a given amount of activity, and then wake up upon a print or ssh
request?  My understanding is that wol is simpler than I'm hoping it is.
Apparently another machine with the correct wol client can just ask a mac
address to wake it's machine, but it doesn't get much more sophisticated
than that.  Am I understanding this correctly?

thanks,
dave m.