2004 Apr 05 16:00

Re: [vox-tech] Beer tux

I make a 1 pixel high by 8 pixel wide black graphic in the gimp, and then save it as linux_logo.ppm. I then compile this replacement graphic into my kernel using patches at the following site: http://www.arnor.net/linuxlogo/download.html

This is a little crude and hasn't been updated since 2.4.18, but it still works (as of a recent 2.4.25 build). Also, if you don't build your own kernels, or let Debian handle kernel compilation for you, I'm not sure how this can be used.

The only other choice is to turn off the framebuffer console (i.e. vga=normal in /etc/lilo.conf). This generally works OK on many video boards/monitors, especially if you spend most of your time in X.

Dave M

Bill Kendrick wrote:

Okay, so this weekend, the little kid I'm tutoring and I set up a PII I got
from a friend, and installed Debian Linux 3.0r1 (the disc I had on me).

I have one complaint so far... during the boot sequence, it throws a Tux
at the top left. My box does the same (I recently installed 3.0r1 from scratch
and then dist-upgrade'd), but with one difference... my box just shows a Tux.
His computer shows Tux holding a mug of beer! D'OH!

How does one change this? :^)

Thx!

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com Have you visited the Linux Users' Group