January 6: Social gathering
2004 Apr 09 11:31

Re: [vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

Re: [vox-tech] Mouse problem with new laptop

Doctorcam wrote:
I just purchased a Toshiba M30, which I'm trying to dual-boot.
First problem: I have X pretty much up and running, except for the
mouse. The trackpoint is dodgy, so I need to be able to use the USB
mouse with it. I have gone through several different approaches I
found through Google, but nothing works, and so I think I'm missing
something related that is not obvious.

This is the error message in XFree86.0.log:

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
No such device

Permissions are 20666 for /dev/input/mice, which should work (as far
as I know).

This is the relevant portion of XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "USB Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

The ServerLayout section contains the line:

InputDevice "USB Mouse" "SendCoreEvents"

I've tried any number of different combinations of device names with
no success.

I'll entertain any ideas.

TIA

Cam