2004 Apr 02 12:56

Re: [vox-tech] IDE cdrw/dvdrw

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Rob Rogers wrote:

> > BTW, last time I checked Kernel 2.6.x didn't support ide-scsi.
>
> Hmm... When was that? I could have sworn it's always supported it. I
> know I've had it working on 2.6, but I don't remember the exact version
> off the top of my head.

I think it was the original 2.6 release, and maybe the second release as
well.  A comment in their ChangeLog or README was something like "ide-scsi
isn't supported in 2.6 yet... but the latest version of cdrecord can write
directly to the IDE device anyway" or something like that.

AMOF, there was a whole slew of unsupported things in the original 2.6
(including the NForce mobo's NIC -- which is what I got -- having lagging
problems on 2.6, according to someone on Orkut) and the second one wasn't
that much better so I just decided to wait to upgrade, which is when I
stopped monitoring 2.6 ChangeLog.  I guess they added ide-scsi since then.

I just mentioned the ide-scsi thing as a sidenote for anyone who can't get
it to work on 2.6, nothing more.  I guess if you can't, you should upgrade
to the later version of 2.6.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim